Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Necessary Self-Exile


I've spent the last five days in Jamaica with a friend and her family, enjoying my total lack of a schedule and great weather.  Here, during the winter, it's a high of 82 and a low of 72 every day, and sometimes it rains in the morning, and sometimes it doesn't.  I think they just have a single static image of their daily weather forecast that the put up on the screen every night.

It's good to get away sometimes, and they say that it's not the distance that matters but I definitely would not have have gained the perspective that I have if I simply went to somebody's lake cabin in Texas.  To gain this perspective means getting away from my surroundings as well as everyone in my life in order to see things clearly again.  A lot of things have happened in my life over the last few months and though not all of them are bad, the sum of them have succeeded in cloudying the waters of my mind.  When people talk about taking time to get their "head right", that's what I'm doing now, in Jamaica- and without the use of ganja, believe it or not.

I think I could live here, even knowing the difficulties, but alas, I don't, and probably never will.  My life waits for me in Texas, and I'll return to it shortly.  Until then, I'll enjoy just a little more dancehall, jerk chicken, and warm December sun between the palm trees.

I hope everyone's having a happy holidays so far.  I don't feel like Christmas just yet, but when I'm back home in the cold, I'm sure I'll get that way quickly.

I leave you with a little local flavor.  I'll miss this place. :(




No comments:

Post a Comment