Tuesday, September 6, 2011

No Uglies Allowed

I'm in Cabo San Lucas, where apparently every day is just like the ones we've had yesterday and today, which is to say, perfect.  This is the sort of vacation that, if gifted to me, I would feel like I wasn't worthy of.  But I paid my own coin, and am definitely going to get my money's worth (not counting, of course, the countless drinks, clothes, food, and drugs that I'm going to buy).  I'm so glad to be here and not in Texas right now.  I feel like the prisoner from Shawshank Redemption, lifting my arms after escaping the prison.

Okay, a bit dramatic maybe. Instead of crawling through a sewer, I rode coach on American Airlines, and my prison is pretty damn good, considering it's actually a duplex and I have a job I like (which does not involve making license plates).  Also, I'm slightly drunk. Other than that, didn't both that Shawshank guy and me end up on the coast of Mexico?  I do believe so.  The point is, I feel so refreshingly unshackled and detached from the real world here.  Maybe it's an effect of being on the end of a peninsula, at the literal "lands end".  Or maybe I just need another skinny margarita.  

Special recognition goes to Dancing Doll (who seriously needs a blog so I can link to it, and her work, which is unrivaled, really), and my friend Erin who have both stayed in the hotel where I now sit, updating all dozen or so of you who either know me or were somehow suckered into tapping the link.  This place is as perfect as the weather is.  There are seven of us, split into three rooms.  One of the two guys, we'll call him Corn Dog (because that's actually what we call him), deadpanned as we walked in from the airport shuttle van "this place is going to work."  

An hour later, sitting beachside with drinks in our hands, I told him that his first impression, while understated, was correct.  

"Apparently, there are no uglies allowed here.  Have you all looked around? Jesus."

"Then how the hell did Corn Dog get in?" Shari asked, only about 25% joking, from what I can tell.  My only guess is that Shari and Erin make up for him sufficiently.  Point is, walking around a place like that, with a chill beach scene with live DJs, great service, beds and loungers with ocean views, and the kind of crowd that is attracted there offers renewed hope for the beauty of the human race; beauty on the outside, anyway. ;)  I'm not here to scout for humanitarian award recipients.

Tonight we have dinner here, then my plan is to enjoy the in-house scene, as opposed to clubbing and getting a full glass worth of tequila and Corona spilled on my apparel over the course of a night, which is what last night was all about.  Fun, no doubt, but I'm stepping it up a little tonight, I'm about to hit my stride.


More later. 




1 comment:

  1. Dancing Doll (Ashleigh)September 14, 2011 at 5:49 AM

    "No uglies allowed"... LOL... ahh, ain't that the truth! The human candy is all part of the perfect vacation scenery though, right? Hope you sampled too.. :)

    ReplyDelete