Thursday, September 29, 2011

People at the Rock Show


I went to see a show with my roommate, her date, and a guy that I think was designated as my date, last night. There's a really cool converted theater in town that gets lots of good acts, and so we went down there for dinner and drinks, then walked over to the show, featuring an electronic-y pop band from Canada.  They were trendy and acted self-important.  They weren't bad, but the crowd was more fun.

I've figured out that in Dallas, and especially in that neighborhood of Dallas at this kind of show, the crowd is split into two main groups: the kind that look like this:



and the kind that look like this:


Now, the first kind are either drinking beer or nothing at all, and they're right up against the stage but often only moving their heads to the beat of the music.

The second kind are drinking a "-tini" of some sort, or maybe a vodka cocktail, and at least in the girls case, are sometimes in the ladies room reapplying the warpaint and/or getting their coke bump on.  Sometimes I'm doing similar things, since that's the only place to do those things while out (and sometimes I dress the same way too, but anyway...), but I'm just saying, you don't tend to see hipsters using the restroom for purposes other than evacuation of body fluids.

The other really interesting thing is the way about 80% of the non-hipster white girls dance when they listen to live music.  I first noticed this when I started going to clubs a couple of years ago when I moved here, and it hasn't changed since.  I wish I'd thought to take a picture, but here's the quick explanation:

One hand holds her vodka/-tini, the other hand is raised up in the air (sometimes with fingers fluttering like a cheerleader), one foot pivots out (that's the active "dancing" leg), and one leg is stationary, holding her up.  This allows her to shake her hips without falling down, and she'll also scream "woo!" at appropriately enthusiastic moments.  

It's hysterically consistent.






No comments:

Post a Comment